Sunday, April 18, 2010

Ribbon Flowers

These Flowers are just to easy to make. I have reels and reels of all kinds of ribbon.I invested in a couple of very well written books on ribbon work.These flowers are the first in a series I will be doing for Swirlydoos. So get your ribbon on, here we go...



~~~Ribbon Flower Supply List~~~
Ribbon 1 - 1.5 inch ribbon works best. Gross grain, satin, silk, polyester, organza.
(note: if you buy wired ribbon, you could pull out the wire with a pair of needle nose pliers. Cut you ribbon first, then remove the wires.)
Needle and thread. Heavy duty thread works best
scissors
buttons, brads, small flowers, pearls, seed beads.



***Step 1***

Cut (5) 3 - 3.5 inch lengths of ribbon. The wider ribbon looks best cut in 3.5 inch lengths and the narrower ribbon looks best cut in 3 inch lengths.



***Step 2***

Find the middle point of your ribbon by folding the ribbon in half meeting the cut ends together. Crease the fold, open the ribbon and fold length wise as shown wrong sides together. With your needle and thread. Sew a few tiny whip stitches where you marked the crease to hold the fold together. Knot the thread and snip close to knot. Repeat until all 5 are done.



***Step 3***

The fold is not shown, but take your ribbon piece and with wrong sides together, fold over in half until your cut ends meet evenly. You should see your petal shape as in the photo. Finger crease the top. With your needle and thread, sew a running stitch along the cut ends, stitch together all the way across as shown. Pulling the thread through.



***Step 4***

Repeat step 3 until all 5 petals are strung side by side on your knotted thread.



***Step5***

Carefully pull and gather your petals on the thread. When you are satisfied with the arrangement attach the first petal to the last petal and whip stitch them together and knot it.




You are now ready to attach any middle you want. You could even make tiny ribbon flowers and layer them for the middle. Here are some different flowers I created. Have fun with ribbon...And how beautiful would a layout be if you wove your ribbon across your page and end it with a ribbon flower. Now I am off to create that Layout!!









37 comments:

  1. These are sooo pretty, Lisa! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beauties!!! LOVE this!! I will surely make some of these babies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for posting this ...will definitely be trying these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing Lisa....
    I'll give them a try today. They look so cute!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, I just LOVE your tutorials!!!! This one is fantastic and I'll definitely give it a try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, these flowers are gorgeous! I too invested some money on a book to learn how to make flowers with ribbons. You got me inspired to share some of the flowers I made awhile back. :) thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great tutorial! can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the workshop. The flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH my......those are so GORGEOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dang Lisa!!!! Those are gorgeous!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa...you are such a clever and generous lady...thank you for sharing the magic you create:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so awesome!! Thanks so much for the tutorial. I m new to the blog world, just got mine set up. I did it for Wendy's challenge on SB.com so that I could do my ribbon rose tutorial. I luv blogging so far. Ill be adding your tutorial to my FAV TUTORIAL link list! Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Girl,YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I LOOOOOOOVE YOUR FLOWERS,THANK YOU,THANK YOU,THANK YOU,
    WARM HUGS
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks to you tutorial, I have made a few of these last night! Love the look! Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, I just love the flowers. Im also from the Gulf Coast, any odds we might be neighbors? That would be awsome, I havent found anyone around me with an obessession for paper as I do...Im from Pensacola.
    Nice meeting you, I love your blog btw. Im fairly new to the blogging community, but loving ea and everyday!
    Warm Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lisa these flowers are beautiful. I've tried with two types of material and I can't get the flowers to point at the end like yours does. Is there a trick to this?
    TFS

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks. You are very generous in sharing so many wonderful ideas. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. thanks so much for sharing Lisa...they are gorgeous...wonder if I could use sticky tape instead of cotton & thread LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just tried your ribbon flowers, and they came out great. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are beautiful, thanks for the tutorial
    Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another great tutorial...I have to try this one too! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much for sharing these flowers, they're just beautiful and well worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are adorable!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. thanks for sharing.....lovely flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. wo0w.. this is so lovely... i've try.. thank you so much it's really help.. ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lisa, these flowers are mind blowingly gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing them :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have always wondered how to make these flowers! Thank you 8 yrs later😊

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is a really good share about flowers thanks for sharing Send gifts to Pakistan .

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wowwwwww! Beautiful, love these all flowers, I like It So Much. Send flowers to Indonesia

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing your beautiful words!!!!